Imperial is an African provider of integrated market access and logistics solutions. By focusing on the following key industries – healthcare, consumer, automotive, chemicals, industrial and raw materials – we bring the products of our customers and constituents to some of the most dynamic and challenging markets in the world. As a global logistics leader, we research and leverage new technologies to deliver innovative end-to-end solutions. Through our large African footprint and international expertise, and with the support of our 25,000 people, Imperial’s goal is to connect Africa and the world – and improve people’s lives with access to quality products and services. Imperial became a 100% owned company of DP World in March 2022. For more information: [URL Removed]
- Imperial Logistics Africa Business is the leading logistics provider in South Africa and one of the largest on the African continent, providing contract logistics, road freight and master logistics provider solutions.
- Imperial Logistics International, headquartered in Duisburg, Germany, is responsible for all Group logistics activities (including contract logistics and freight) outside of Africa.
- Imperial’s Market Access business develops complex market access solutions that provide constituents with access to patients and consumers across Africa through comprehensive channel strategies that integrate supply, sales, demand generation, distribution, marketing and promotions.
Acts as the custodian of a specific Business Intelligence development team and solution portfolio on behalf of the Business Intelligence competency within the Data & Insights capability.
Responsible for delivering business intelligence solutions and professional services that will enable Imperial to make faster and more informed decisions based on the insights generated by this capability.
The Business Intelligence Lead is expected to both perform one-on-one technical work and facilitate, guide and oversee team delivery, with a 40%/60% split between technical delivery individual and team delivery.
Key performance areas
- Inform strategic and faster decision-making through the availability of critical datasets, insights and modeling for D&IT and Imperial
- Drive a talent attraction and retention strategy aligned with D&IT and Imperial strategy to ensure market critical skills are attracted
- Plan and oversee projects to ensure quality and valuable deliverables are completed on time and within budget.
For individual and team deliverables, ensure:
- Reliable, punctual, efficient and quality delivery according to the chosen process and tooling.
- Mitigation plans are in place for projects/programs that are not delivered according to the estimated schedule
- Information is always rigorously tested and approved before being released to D&IT and Imperial
People and cultures:
- Provide hands-on leadership (personal and technical) to the team
- Ensure the supervision and support of the spare resources integrated into the companies of the group
- Ensure the well-being of the team
- Build and maintain a healthy working relationship within the team
- Shape and enforce team culture and norms
- Drive ongoing knowledge sharing initiatives
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives
Process and delivery:
Be the team leader of a team of business intelligence developers:
- Help manage team performance within the sprint. The team must reliably deliver the sprint backlog
- Help ensure team effectiveness through accurate work estimates and completion against estimates in accordance with the sprint plan
- Help manage the distribution of technical work by sprint. Making Sprint Planning Easier 2: How to Solve Problems
- Help ensure the quality of team deliverables.
- Help ensure adoption and use of processes and tools
- Contribute to ensure the technical competence of the team
Technology and standards:
- Define, document and communicate design patterns
- Ensure definition, documentation and communication of solution designs prior to implementation
- Ensure that as-built documentation is done to standards and is continually updated to ensure accuracy
- Ensure solutions are measured against the definition of done
- Ensure that the WIKI is periodically reviewed and updated for content accuracy and structure
- Apply source code management practices
- Apply quality assurance practices
- All corporate governance, processes, procedures and statutory, legal and other requirements
- A relevant tertiary qualification, BSc Computer/Data Science or BCom Informatics or BEng Computer or BSc Mathematics/Statistics
Skills and experience required:
- 7+ years in Business Intelligence/Data Analytics/Data Science/Modeling/Statistics
- Programming and statistical computer languages (R, Python, SQL, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Business Intelligence and Data Analytics principles and best practices
- Entrepreneurial and business thinking
- persuade and influence
- Decide and take action
- Lead and Supervise
- Adapt and react to change
- Dealing with pressures and setbacks
- Present and communicate information
- Connecting and networking
- Adhere to principles and values
Technical skills :
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Resource and people management
- Strong communication skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Excellent planning, time management and organizational skills
- High level knowledge or awareness of statistical modeling and data mining techniques i.e. regression, random forest, boosting, trees, text mining, social network analysis , etc
- Query databases using statistical computer languages, i.e. R, Python, SQL, etc.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms
Imperial Oil is committed to transformation, which encompasses employment equity, diversity and inclusion when recruiting internally and externally. It is company policy to promote from within whenever possible. Therefore, please be aware that internal applications will be considered first before considering external applications.
- business intelligence
- Data analysis
Desired level of qualification:
Find out more/Apply to this position