Factory Harley-Davidson Screamin’ Eagle rider Kyle Wyman led his brother and factory teammate Travis Wyman and Vance & Hines racer James “Hogspoli” Rispoli to a podium sweep during the MotoAmerica Mission Foods race King of the Baggers on Sunday at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, CA.
Kyle passed leader Tyler O’Hara on the second lap of the race and crossed the finish line 3.063 seconds ahead of Travis. Rispoli finished third, half a second ahead of O’Hara’s factory Indian Challenger. Six of the top 10 finalists were on Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Travis Wyman was the quick qualifier on Saturday, setting a new class record of 1:29.748 over the 11-turn, 2.238-mile road course. But it was Kyle Wyman who won the King of the Baggers Mission Challenge 3-lap sprint race and the winning $5,000 purse immediately after Q2. Both Harley-Davidson factory riders started from the front row with Rispoli.
In the eight-lap King of the Baggers race, O’Hara took the lead from the second row of the grid. But Kyle Wyman kept the pressure on him with inside and outside moves at several points on the course, then passed him cleanly into Turn 9 on lap two. From then on, Kyle broke away and was never challenged for the lead.
“It was really fat today, and I was careful with the edge grip,” said Kyle Wyman. “O’Hara lost the rear out of Turn 9 and that allowed me to pass. I was happy to be clear, to run my own race and to manage the gap until the finish. It’s just great to get a 1-2-3 for Harley-Davidson and to reward the entire Harley-Davidson factory team that made this possible.
“Coming home second behind Kyle is pretty amazing,” Travis Wyman said. “We did it the other way at Road America. And now we are tied on points. So these last two rounds are going to be pretty awesome for the fans.
The Mission King of the Baggers series features race-prepared American V-Twin touring motorcycles.
After five of seven rounds in the 2022 MotoAmerica Mission King of the Baggers series, Kyle and Travis Wyman are tied for second in the series standings with 86 points. O’Hara leads by one point with 87.
MotoAmerica King of the Bagger Race Results – Laguna Seca
1. Kyle Wyman (HD) Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson
2. Travis Wyman (HD) Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson
3. James Rispoli (HD) Vance & Hines Racing
4. Tyler O’Hara (Ind.) Mission Foods/S&S Cycle
5. Jeremy McWilliams (Ind.) Mission Foods/S&S Cycle
6. Bobby Fong (Ind.) Roland Sands Design
7. Taylor Knapp (HD) Vance & Hines Racing
8. Frankie Garcia (Ind.) Roland Sands Design
9. Danny Eslick (HD) Nowaskey Extreme Performance
10. Andrew Lee (HD) Big Bear Performance
11. Patricia Fernandez (Ind.) Saddlemen/Lloyd’z Garage
12. Zack Nation (HD) Zack Nation Racing Revolution Performance
13. Eric Stahl (HD) Jiffy Tune Racing