Position:Medical office assistant
Post status: Full-time
Opening date: November 9, 2022
Closing Date:November 23, 2022
An employee in this class works as an integral member of a multidisciplinary team to perform a variety of clerical and nursing duties by recording and maintaining patient data and reports and providing information to individuals and families who benefit from local health services. Duties include providing support and/or assisting the medical care provider and/or clinic staff with standard nursing or (if applicable, and laboratory functions). The work is carried out under the general supervision of the Director of Health.
• Performs general medical office duties such as answering telephones, recording, reporting and filing patient medical/dental records involving lab test results, appointments, reminder cards and diagnoses from physicians, dentists and nurses in the computer system.
• Gathers patient information, including obtaining certain personal and medical history of the patient (in person and/or by telephone; determining patient eligibility according to department policies and giving patient date and time exact appointments.
• Screen patients, students or staff for symptoms.
• Provides vendor support and ensures instruments are ready for use.
• Provides recipients of health services with information referred to them by professional health personnel.
• Accompanies patients to their destination within the health service; sets up a clinic room and maintenance stations and has all necessary supplies ready for use during the clinic.
• Assists physicians and nurses with standard nursing tasks and laboratory functions such as equipment setup, simple hemoglobin and urine tests, assists physician with pelvic exams, and performs other tests standard laboratory.
• Documents patient questions/concerns to provider and ability to escalate questions/concerns to provider and explain medical instructions to patients.
• Participates in COVID-19 related duties as assigned.
• Connects staff/parents/guardians/students to COVID-19 resources and education.
• Investigation of contacts and exposures to COVID-19 in the school setting, as needed Understanding of infection prevention and use of PPE.
• Comfortable with wearing full PPE (gown, gloves, N95 and face shield) as required.
• Performs all laboratory tests as per contract addenda in the Maternity Clinic, Family Planning, Child Health, Adult Health and General Clinic laboratories.
• Completes general clinical tests for blood glucose, hemoglobin, syphilis, rubella, hepatitis B, varicella titers, HIV, pregnancy test and blood lead. Blood samples for various tests ordered by a medical provider.
• Provides quality health care according to relevant permanent, clinical or private prescriptions; court orders; including state and/or federal requirements.
• High school diploma or advanced diploma in general education and a one-year formal training course in medical office assistant (MOA) at a community college or technical institute; Where
• High school diploma or advanced diploma in general education and a combination of one year of office experience and experience in the health/dental field; Where
• One year of laboratory experience; Where
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Registration as a Nurse’s Aide I or II by the North Carolina Division of Health Services Regulation is preferred.
Applications can be submitted online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.